Monday, May 2, 2011

Never say never...

     It is going to be a sad, sad, night in the Boksen home. 


     Sleep training starts tonight. I know I said we wouldn't do it. Or that we couldn't do it. But it is just really taking a toll on us. Last week I slept in the nursery, something that really upset Brian. I know different things work for different couples, but we are adamant about not sleeping in separate beds. Whether we are sick, fighting, etc...we always go to sleep together and wake up together. So last week in the middle of the night when I was a little pissy and very tired, I plopped into the glider and passed out. I broke our rule. 


     After seeing Dr. CIO (cry it out) again today and getting a pep talk, we realized that the juice will be worth the squeeze on this one. I thought we were so lucky when B&E started sleeping 5 and sometimes 7 hour stretches. But, where did those nights go?! 


   So how are we going to do this?


1. With a schedule. Well, let's call it a routine :)
2. As a team. 
3. Without pacifiers :( -- this might have to change!!!
4. Quickly. - Dr. CIO said after 1-2 nights they will STTN! (Sleep through the night). 


There is a method to sleep training. We are not locking our babies in the room for 12 hours and checking on them when we wake up tomorrow morning. I know that is how some people view sleep training. It is how I viewed it before I ever considered it. There is way more to it than that. There are rules, considerations, and exceptions. 


It is going to be another long night for all of us, and I will probably be crying myself. And I don't want to sound pompous and say "it's different with twins", but it really is. One baby up all night is tough, I am sure. But two? Up all night at different times ? While Brian and I desperately hope that each other hears the monitor first? Hopefully those nights will soon be behind us. 


So if you are reading this and have any words of wisdom or encouragement, please share by leaving a comment - I would really appreciate it :) 






9 comments:

bonniebelle said...

No words of wisdom here just good luck and happy sleeping vibes sent your way!

Lauren said...

Just wanted to say good luck girl :-)

Mrs. W. said...

I don't have any advice or words of wisdom of course, but just wanted to wish you well! Hopefully you can soon get the babies all situated on a schedule that makes you ALL better rested and happier!

Miss Kassie Lynn said...

I haven't been in your shoes (yet) but when you are all crying, remember only you and Brian will remember this and they know you love them!

Kristina said...

night nurse :-)

Sarah_Joy said...

I know I told you a little bit about our sleep training journey, but you may find the full story encouraging: http://joyonthejourney.blogspot.com/2010/11/special-report-our-sleep-training.html

To be honest, he still doesn't STTN, but he can put himself back to sleep when he does wake (we're down to 1 feed/night), which is a HUGE difference.

It's the hardest and best decision I've made as a parent so far. If it goes terribly this week, don't be afraid to table it and try again next week. I hope it goes awesome though! Good luck!

Mrs.MommyLowe said...

You can do it! I waited until 9 months to do with Parker. It was the best thing I ever did to save my sleep and my relationship with husband. With the twins, I started the drowsy but awake very early on. We have never really had to CIO with them. Have you read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins?? I have it and can stick it in the mail.
Have a glass of wine and listen to some music. Or leave the house, if Brian will let you. It does work after 2-3 nights.

Kristin {Sea Cow Circus} said...

I won't lie - it's hard, and I imagine it will be twice as hard with two! But as long as you're firm about it, it will likely pay off, and fast - just focus on the end result. I wrote a (extremely detailed) post about our experience - we did it when our daughter was six months old: http://wolfrumchronicle.blogspot.com/2011/03/kristin-sleep-academy.html

It took 3-4 nights with our daughter, but things are so much better now - I don't dread putting her down for naps or bed anymore and I really enjoy it and the quality sleep so, so much.

Best of luck! Keep us posted!

Steph said...

You can do it! It will be hard but it is for the best. Babies, Mommy and Daddy need SLEEP!